Date : 21 December 2010 (Tuesday)
Venue : Hilton Hotel, Petaling Jaya
Y. Bhg. Tan Sri Azman Hashim
Pengerusi Lembaga Pengarah,
Perbadanan Produktiviti Malaysia (MPC)
Ahli-ahli Lembaga Pengarah MPC,
Y. Berusaha Encik Mohd Razali Hussain
Ketua Pengarah, MPC
Tuan-tuan dan Puan-puan,
Wakil – wakil Media,
Para peserta dan hadirin sekalian.
1. Pertama sekali, saya ingin merakamkan ucapan ribuan terima kasih kepada MPC kerana sudi menjemput saya untuk merasmikan Konvensyen Kebangsaan Persekitaran Berkualiti, dan menyampaikan hadiah kepada pemenang Anugerah Persekitaran Berkualiti 2010. Saya dimaklumkan konvensyen ini merupakan konvensyen kali yang ke 14 telah dijalankan oleh MPC semenjak ianya dimulakan pada tahun 1996.
2. Saya juga ingin mengambil kesempatan ini untuk menyampaikan penghargaan kepada organisasi swasta dan awam yang telah mengambil bahagian di dalam konvensyen kali ini. Kepada pemenang Anugerah Persekitaran Berkualiti yang akan diumumkan sebentar lagi, tahniah saya ucapkan. Sesungguhnya penyertaan tuan-tuan dan puan-puan dalam program anjuran MPC ini melambangkan komitmen dan sokongan bagi menjayakan program Persekitaran Berkualiti ke arah meningkatkan kecekapan dan daya saing organisasi.
Ladies and gentlemen,
3. A conducive business environment is a crucial factor in accelerating investment from the private sector. The increase in these investments will speed up our country’s economic growth in achieving the targeted Gross National Income (GNI) in year 2020 by creating more jobs, expanding domestic and international markets and higher domestic consumption and higher income. This will be achievable if it is in tandem with enhanced productivity and capacity for innovation at the organisation’s level.
4. Under the Tenth Malaysia Plan, the Government had included a comprehensive review of regulations that affect business innovation and effectiveness. This responsibility will be undertaken by MPC which was restructured to ensure sufficient resources and capabilities to review existing regulations with the objective of eliminating burdening regulations and compliance costs. MPC is also entrusted to provide comprehensive productivity statistics at the sectoral level and benchmarks against other comparable nations.
5. In enhancing the organisational capacity on innovation, MPC has developed a framework for business excellence which will serve as a roadmap to achieve higher level of performance. This will enable them to evaluate current management practices, identify gaps and take appropriate measures to improve their management capabilities. On this matter, I would like to call upon organisations to join efforts with MPC in nurturing many more productive, innovative, competent and excellent organisations.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
6. Malaysia now stands among the tenth most competitive countries based on the World Competitiveness Yearbook 2010 by the Institute for Management Development (IMD). Although we can take pride of this performance, but more importantly is for Malaysia to continue sustaining our competitive position not solely to attract foreign investments, but also pertinent for organisations to improve the effectiveness of their delivery systems to ease business transactions in Malaysia.
7. I believe this Quality Environment initiative can be a foundation towards continual improvement in the service delivery system as well as enriching the culture for productivity and innovation capacity. The Quality Environment principles such as discipline, efficiency, speed, safety, innovativeness and team spirit are the features of an excellent organisation. I urge that these values be consistently nurtured and become a standard practice in Malaysian organisations. The embedded culture, when incorporated as a benchmarking strategy will help realise our vision to be a high income economy by 2020.
8. Towards this end, the Quality Environment practices by organisations must be evaluated and recognised by a third party. I believe MPC’s role as a third party agency that certifies Quality Environmental practices will provide the opportunities for organisations to gain recognition and certification from time to time. This is to ensure the principles of excellence I mentioned earlier, will be continuously upheld by the organisations. Without certification, organisations may rest on their laurels, and may lag in their efforts to maintain and improve their future performance.
9. This approach is in line with the objective of this convention, which provides the platform for the organisations to share experiences and at the same time, learn and benchmark other organisation’s Quality Environment standards and best practices. Healthy competition enables continual improvement cycle that eventually benefit all parties within the eco-system.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
10. I would like to congratulate all participating organisations in this year’s national convention. My appreciation, specifically goes to the top management of these organisations for embracing the Quality Environment culture and providing strong and endless support in ensuring continuous participation by all employees at the work place.
11. Based on the impact study on Quality Environment Practices and its implementation by MPC, majority of the respondents agreed that the programme creates a positive impact on the evaluated factors such as :
- 88% of the respondents agreed that Quality Environment implementation enhanced organisation’s productivity.
- Nearly all respondents (97%) believed that Quality Environment programme has improved service ability and delivery as access to documents is more systematic and speedier.
- 87% of the respondents registered that non-value added activities were eliminated hence work process was improved and eventually enhanced the delivery system.
- 91% of the respondents informed that tools and equipment layouts were better and 86% agreed that workplace space is being optimised.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
12. I would like to propose that the outreach for Quality Environment programme be expanded to various industries especially those within the National Key Economic Areas (NKEA) outlined in the Tenth Malaysia Plan and Economic Transformation Programme (ETP). Towards this end, MPC will focus on increasing the number of experts and specialists in Quality Environment Certification who will be the catalysts for implementation of Quality Environment through higher added value activities.
13. Akhir kata saya sekali lagi ingin merakamkan ucapan setinggi-tinggi penghargaan dan terima kasih kepada semua hadirin termasuk peserta-peserta, para pembentang kertas kerja, pemenang-pemenang anugerah dan semua pihak yang menjayakan konvensyen ini. Saya berharap tuan-tuan dan puan-puan mendapat manfaat sepenuhnya dari pertemuan ini.
14. Dengan lafaz Bismillah hirahmanirrahim, saya dengan sukacitanya merasmikan Konvensyen Kebangsaan Persekitaran Berkualiti 2010, dan selamat maju jaya kepada semua.
Sekian, Terima kasih.